Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Monster toys of the 90"s

The  90's gave birth to a lot of toy lines that I really dont see a lot of people collecting. For monster collectors like myself  that time frame gave us a few interesting lines that seem to go overlooked and forgotten by many collectors.These are  good examples of toy lines from the 90's that just never made a huge splash in the toy aisles.

 Little Dracula .This toy line from Bandai was based on a short lived cartoon  that aired on Fox from September 1991 to October 1991 for a total of 6 episodes .The failure of the show pretty much doomed these toys at retail  and  for the most part they went from case to clearance bin completely skipping the toy aisle.


 Toonsylvania. Produced by Toy Island and based on another short lived cartoon that aired on fox in 1998.At the same time these toy hit the store shelves  Burger King was giving away Toonsylvania toys with their kids meals and 2 years after the show was canceled a game for the Gameboy color was released.


 Aaahh!!! Real Monsters .This toy line from 1995 by Mattel was based on the cartoon that aired on Nickelodeon for years.Of the 12 toys in this line only 4 appeared on the show, The other 8 where rehashed from a toy line that never made it to production.Besides this toy line the cartoon spawned ton's of other merchandise ranging from trading cards to chewing gum .

 Bump in the Night .These are based on a show that aired on ABC off and on from 1993 to 1995 .I haven't a clue who made the toy line but I do know they came in 3 sizes (these being the large 13 inch set) and Subway gave away pvc toys in their kids meals.


Monster Force.Made by Playmates and based on the 1993 cartoon  that ran 13 episodes on USA network.This line wasn't incredibly rare but didn't sell very well at the time and is probably more well know than some of the other line I have listed above.

  Big Frank.Made by  Playskool in 1993.No cartoon needed for this one he is just pure awesome




12 comments:

  1. Used to have a couple of those Monster Force figures that i ended up pass along to Reis and I would love have a couple of those Toonnslyvania playsets because they look so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thing with the Toonnslyvania items is that they are all really low priced still,I see the figures up on ebay mip all the time selling for a few dollars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep! Thanks to Jboy, I got the Frank and Drac from Monster Force! I need to get around to getting the rest, but I've eased up on my monster toy collecting.

    I had that Little Dracula back in the day. I never saw the cartoon but just found him one day at a KB Toys on clearance and thought he was so cute that I had to have him.

    Around that same time, I remember loving the Addams Family cartoon and buying up all of the toys. The Morticia was TO DIE FOR. Haha! Get it? "To die for?"

    I'm hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Strike that, I have Drac and the Werewolf from Monster Force. My bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the only place I ever saw the little Dracula toys was in the KB Toys 3 for $9 bins.I have the Addams family figures I just wish they had made cousin it :( I dont have a complete set of the Monster force either , I only bought the monsters and skipped the humans.

      Delete
  5. Wow! Wow! Wow!
    We need these!!!!!!
    Never seen these before...need them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy from digging around your blog and seeing some of the simply amazing things you guys find Im surprised you've never found a few of these items.

      Delete
  6. I love the Ahh Real Monsters figures. I used to have that Little Dracula fig. It had the worst case of new toy smell i've ever come across.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recently bought real monsters on dvd and I still really enjoy it.I keep thinking about buy a little Dracula but Iv heard that the paint and or plastic on them has became really stick over time, with the dust problems I have in my house I try to not buy sticky toys.

      Delete
  7. The Little Dracula cartoon WAS terrible, but the books it was based on are completely charming in a morbid sort of way.

    They're primarily children's books, but the first page of one of them has "Big Dracula" (meaning, the dad) making his breakfast. This involves cracking open a severed head and emptying its contents into a frying pan!

    From that toyline, I have Little Dracula, Maggot Man and a coffin that turns into a car.

    As for Bump In The Night - really like that cartoon, got a DVD of it in fact! No idea that any toys existed for it, I'd love one of those 13" ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The little Dracula toys seemed to have made more of an impact in you parts of the world than the did here and I believe more items to the line made it to store over there than here. Those big Bump In The Night toys are crazy expensive! Ive seen the set of 3 sell for over $600.00 .

      Delete
    2. You've inspired me to do a posting on Little Dracula now, cheers!

      http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/little-dracula-at-seaside.html

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...