Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The toy unseen

As a kid I had lots of random toys and if I didn't have a specific toy more often then not one of my friends had it or I had seen it in a store. Very few toys in the 80's went without me having at least one item from the line or having a friend that had one but ever so often a toy line would fly under my radar .One of the toy lines that I knew nothing of as a child was Was The Bugmen of Insecta 



The Bugmen of Insecta was made   in 1983 by same company that made the Dragonriders of the Styx line ,I had a few of the Dragonriders figures but didn't find out about the Bugmen till 20 years after the fact.I have always been a fan of bug people going all the way back to the Ovion figure from battlestar galactica. I would have loved these things as a kid.


These guys came out about 2 years before the Sectaurs: Warriors of Symbion  the more well known bug men of the 80's from Coleco .Makes me wonder if  Coleco might have borrowed the idea.I have never seen these guys anywhere beyond the internet but hope to someday  run across one .

10 comments:

  1. Those are awesome, thanks for introducing them to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are indeed! I'm glad I could show you something you hadn't seen.

      Delete
  2. I been keeping a eye out for some of these but they just don't turn up in the wild.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here.Iv found half of the Dragonriders set at yard sales and fleemarkets but not these.

      Delete
    2. I have one lone Dragonriders figure in my collection thanks to Brian over at Cool and Collected but am always looking for more.

      Delete
    3. Is it by any chance the blue guy with the white viking helmet?He was always my favorite and the first one I reacquired .

      Delete
  3. I would have been all over those too had I seen them. I was the same way, I'd often get the weird figures. I know I had a few of the Dragonriders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I ended up with so many of the stranger toys because my mom loved to shop at woolworths back then.I had these guys from a line called Monster man that I think were only sold at Woolworths and are also imposable to find now

      Delete
    2. We had a woolworth's too when i was a kid and got a lot of toys from there as a kid. I think i got my very first Transformer there too which was Kickback.

      Delete
    3. I remember they had a lot of the less expensive toys that are now the hard things to find.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...