Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Round Robin Challenge:My Heroic Origin


If you were a hero, super or otherwise, what would be your origin and your powers? More than a good rogues gallery, every hero needs a compelling backstory. Well I have thought about this before ( mostly in highschool when I liked to think myself the next Frank Miller or Dave Sim).I once long ago shared one of my little doodles on my nearly forgotten art blog Here:

 http://thesilentpictureshow.blogspot.com/2014/08/something-little-different.html

I really rarely show any of my art to anybody but this character is what I envisioned my superhero persona as. His name was Nowhere man ( yeah subtle Beatles reference there) he had a sidekick named Void girl .His powers came from an ancient book that was slipped into his backpack while he was at the library. Before his powers he was a person that nobody noticed or remembered so much to the point that when he went missing his parent couldn't give a description of what he looked like and soon forgot he was ever even there .This book was a gift and a curse. He had always felt he wasnt really there , that nobody could see him, utterly invisible to the society around him .This book amplified this feeling into a corporeal state and he was now  nothing  and nowhere to be seen, he had became a nowhere man. He could pull people into himself , into the nowhere void where nothing could escape without his intervention , a place where time moved a rate of years to our milliseconds .A place where there was nothing but time to be alone and ponder why it is you have met this hopeless fate, a million years alone with your own thoughts, a truly horrible punishment .The book was one book out of the volume of destiny , a set of book meant only for the eyes of a higher power. 13 books from the set somehow made their way to the mortal plain at the beginning of time and have been nothing but trouble to mankind since. So thats my story and here are a couple never before seen doodles from a time long ago. The first one is a visual representation of the madness of the void .The 2nd one is a very rough preliminary  sketch of Nowhere man fighting his main villein Sanity Assassin . The last one is of the villein turned best friend / sidekick Electric vampire killer.



Check out these other super backstories :

5 comments:

  1. Damn,Bro that's a great story line!You should start a comic strip on your blog ,post a couple of panels at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh I dont really draw anymore , I have arthritis in my hands that makes it a painful thing to do.

      Delete
  2. and now I have that song stuck in my head... I was bad enough when I had Heart's "Barracuda" in my head on Monday except I was subbing "Froggacuda" in

    very compelling, and good artwork. I can't draw a straight line freehand, hence my PC assisted art, I truly appreciate those with the skill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little secret , nearly all of my characters are named after songs I was listening to back in the mid to late 80's in highschool. Sanity Assassin is a song by Bauhaus ,void girl was an amalgam of romeo void- girl in trouble and Eletric vampire killer is a little less straight forward he came about because my friend was playing a talking heads record while ate the same time the video Big Electric Cat from Adrian Belew was on tv, the songs kind of mixed together and she started laughing and chanting electric vampire killer. I still dont know how "vampire made it in there but it stuck in my head.

      Delete
  3. Really like that B&W doodle- quite refined

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...