Wednesday, February 8, 2017

out with the old

Ill  start this post by saying that 3 times in the past fads have bit me in the butt and the wallet .Back 1998 I didn't lower my price on Furbys fast enough before Christmas and I ended up with 11 unsold Furbies.This wasn't truly a loss as I was able to return them to Toys R Us and get my money back. I still made a profit even with returning the 11 for cost because the 9 that I did sell went for $150 each( a profit of  about $110 each) Then in the 99 I got out of the Beanie Baby business just in time to turn a small profit on the remaining stock I had before the entire world sold off all at once. Then in 2000 I lost my shirt in Pokemon cards overnight , thats all I have to say about the Pokemon crash . Now what do these have to do with today? Well Ill tell you, many many many people are soon going to face a nasty realization that they are not going to get back out what they put in on a modern day Beanie Baby crazy. What is Im talking about? FUNKO POPS! the Pops bubble is going to burst and my feeling is it will happen pretty soon. People sitting on 3000 pops mint in box are going to wake up one morning to find that they are worth about a buck each and they will never get that 25 bucks each they had hoped for. Those who forget are doomed to repeat .Why am I stating this ? Because I'm out, me and Pops have parted ways for good. Sure I still have a few here and there but those are parts of character related collection and not part of a Pop collection. I cashed out and left the table. Recently a small hole in thee wall comic book store opened up in my town. Now for a place the size of a walk in closet they had a great selection of toys. I noticed they seemed to highly favor the Pops. So I made a proposition to the owner and we struck a deal and now my future worthless fad collectables are his and I'm the proud owner of some cool new stuff that doesn't have dead black eyes and swollen Mellon hydrocephalus like heads. Ill get to taking better shots of this stuff at some point but for now here are a few quick shots of a few of the things I got in my Pop purge .










I walked away very pleased with our trade and I'm not missing the Pops one bit. Some of the items I got I haven't pictured here and will unveil them at a later time.

13 comments:

  1. I totally agree. That's why I only buy the Pops I really like collecting like Ninja Turtles and video game characters. Still on the lookout for Mega Man and Pac-Man, but damn those Battle Beasts are sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept the a few select pops like the horror and supernatural pops but anything I had still boxed went away. Yeah they still have like 30 Battle Beasts sitting there but I didnt have enough to get them all.

      Delete
  2. You definitely got the better end of the deal. At the end of the day, there might be a handful of Pops that were Con exclusives that are worth decent money, but there are just too many of the regular ones out there for them to gain any real value in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah and with so many people buying and collecting them just in hopes for a return on them in the future a market collapse is nearly unavoidable.

      Delete
    2. Chris, the problem is that even the "Commons" become to expensive because Funko retires them. I really want the MOTU ones and to finish my thundercats but never will (dang it I just needed Lion-o and Cheetara) because once they go to the vault they go up big time. The Motus were under $20 then vaulted and boom some are hundreds last I checked. :( I'll just get the Dorbz MOTU and be happy (though there is a rumor that due to Dorbz selling well and the Loyal subjects making $ off their blind boxes line, that Funko is considering a second wave of MOTU POPS.

      And Brother, I hope it does collapse lol I Want to finish my TCATS pop collection and get a couple of the MOTUS lol.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the haul,Bro!I gotta see a shot of that Select Juggernaut next to a 3 3/4 X-Men figure.If It doesn't look too exaggerated ,It will supplant my MU Juggernaut.I always thought he should be crazy large next to anything else.CRISPY!The cereal was horrible ,the books memorable :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! He is massive compared to the 6 inch legends and looks like Godzilla compared to the universe figures lol I never had the cereal I remember the song from the commercial though. I really like fruit island cereal from the same time frame.

      Delete
  4. Yeah, I used to have a shelf dedicated to Funko, but realized I didn't enjoy Funko lol. Everything I had could be put in bigger displays like Thundercats, etc (especially pops) so I never got into the fad.

    Wow! You did great! I love that YEti and doll (misfit?) And jealous of those Battle Beasts! lol. Thats a great haul!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats how mine are ,a smaller part of a larger collection.Yeah that is Roxy from the Misfits, missing her cloths unfortunately but I never see Jem dolls so I was pretty excited to get her.

      Delete
  5. I got out of the Beanie Baby business at the perfect time. I literally profited thousands and thousands of dollars (and sunk it all right back into collectibles of course). I never buy with the intention of selling. I truly loved my Beanies, so i could never really be "stuck" with them. But when the notion came to me, I unloaded. I feel the same about Pops. I've only bought a small handful with the intention of reselling (usually when I'm at a con and an exclusive is too tempting to pass up) and all the rest are ones that I buy for myself. But that said, I just started selling off some of my less-than-favorite POPs... metallic variants.. Black and White variants.. etc. All of characters that I love and that I bought with the intention of keeping forever, but I want brighter and better things so I'm cutting the fat. Still, I don't think POPs are going anywhere for a few years at the very least. It's getting overwhelming for sure, but only the supercollector/completist types are really affected by that. The average joe who appreciates Pop culture is just getting started. So many non-geeky coworkers of mine have Pops on their desks now. I think that trend of gaining the untapped market is what will keep the brand going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it will only go so far before it crashes. The people I call lookie lou's that are not in this hobby but happen by something that catches their eye and buy it on a whim are maybe a part of the problem. They buy something sit it on the night stand or the dashboard and after a while get tired of looking at it and off to the thrift store it goes , now think of that on a massive scale. They are showing up at thrift level and yard sales already and to me thats an early warning and another early warning is that a lot of collectors have started to unload. Itt might have a couple more years but it has (imo) started its death spiral.

      Delete
  6. That Yeti is awesome!

    As for Funko Pop! We only get the ones we really want.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...